How To Extend Your Car's Life
Simple Ways To Extend Your Car's Life
For when your car is fresh off the dealer’s lot:
- During the first 1600 km of driving your vehicle, be sure to keep your speed under 88 km/h.
- Do not let your car idle for long periods of time- the oil pressure generated by doing so may not be sending oil to every part of your engine.
- Do not accelerate too heavily during the first few hours of driving- keep the engine rpms below 3000.
In everyday driving:
- During the first 10 to 20 minutes of driving is when the most wear happens to the engine. Always accelerate slowly when you begin your drive.
- When standing at red lights, put your vehicle in neutral. This puts less strain on your engine and automatic transmission.
In need of gas
If you're in need of gas and see a fuel tanker filling up the tanks at a petrol station, come back another day or go to a different station. The turbulence of the underground tanks being filled can stir up sediment, which can end up in your fuel tank. This can clog fuel filters and fuel injectors.
By following these simple guidelines you can keep your vehicle in tip-top shape for many years to come.